Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Things I Won't Miss About Renting

As I was laying in bed last night, listening to our (normally) quiet upstairs neighbors stomp around, I started compiling a mental list of all the things I wouldn't miss about renting.

They are:

1. The only arguments I have to listen to are my own. While it can be kind of fun to be the unwitting witness to marital and relationship issues (especially if they're arguing about something inane like peanut butter), it's super awkward and not my idea of a good time.

2. No one gives you a hard time about pets. You can have anything you want (assuming you don't live in a soulless, HOA-nazi neighborhood) and while your neighbors might think you're nuts, you don't have to pay anyone a dime for the privilege of owning ten goats.

3. No one can come in unannounced to inspect anything. My big, 100lb German Shepherd mix, Klaus is especially happy about this one; he doesn't like strangers. He is also happy being the world's largest lap dog:



4. If someone is stomping around upstairs, likely that person is me. Pretending to be a T-Rex. And if I'm stomping around like Scar, I'm not exactly in danger of keeping me awake.

5. I don't have to paint anything back. I can't stand white walls in every room in the house, so we have always painted in every apartment we've owned -- and trust me, that's a lot of apartments and a lot of paint. In half I've had to paint back or get the landlord's permission to paint a quirky color. Well, no more!

There's a crap ton more, but those are the highlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment